Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Creating and Selling Websites

So last month I decided that I was going to sell one of my websites. I have quite a few now and it is a bit difficult to keep them all up to date as often as I can. So I thought about it and decided that I would sell the best performing one so that I could achieve the best price for it. I sold my site for $500 on flippa which I think was a fair price for the site that was producing regular adsense and some amazon income. The transfer of the site was a little stressful but it all worked out OK in the end. Hopefully the site is performing as well for the new owner.

I thought that in order to earn more money maybe I would create more sites on a rolling basis and sell the best performing one every few months. This would then hopefully give enough time (8 to 12 months) for the new sites to get a foot in the door and get some traffic going until it came to their time to be sold.

So today I bought a new domain name. It is a tricky thing to decide on as it has to be the right domain and content. Luckily (or unluckily in the circumstances) I found a .com URL directly relating to a medical condition I have now which is not good but has a lot of searches for it and low competition. It is a two word domain and I have to say I veer toward the xxxx-xxxx.com domain name rather than the two words without a hyphen as this looks more readable to me. Anyway the one without a hyphen was already taken but it is a parked domain with no useful information so that might help me with the fact there is less competition.

Anyway, hopefully this will keep me busy during what is actually quite a sad time due to this health situation and I can impart some knowledge on this topic that I have learned through personal experience. As an fyi the website I sold was also one I had knowledge on through personal experience so it helps if you know what people are looking for in terms of information.

No comments:

Post a Comment